During packing you should remember about moving wrap because of fragile items, glass, larger items. They should not be broken down for the successful moving. Not large number people think about these details before an accident. That’s why you should be aware of such important things like how to wrap furniture for moving.
No matter you wrap the things by your own or hire the professionals, it must be done carefully and successfully. Without the proper precautions the furniture may be damaged.
- The first your task is to decide which things you are going to take apart.
- Some pieces of furniture do not fit through doorways or down a narrow staircase. They have to be disassembled before wrapping.
- Also, you should make a list of such things as fragile items, highly valuable items, and large pieces of furniture which will be taken apart.
- Remove the legs from tables, sofas, couches and others possible items.
- Take bed frames completely apart.
- In short, if a piece of furniture can be safely taken apart, do it. It makes the moving of the belongings easier. It will help to avert damage that can be caused by brushing up against walls or door frames.
- Frequently, people complain about damaging of the knobs, casters, or pulls. Remove them from the furniture before wrapping.
- Pack some little items into the drawers of dressers and desks. It will give you some extra space that will be much-needed for you later.
- Take pictures during the disassembling process step by step. This is very useful for you to know in what way exactly the items must be put back together again. The photos will remind you what things are supposed to look like. That reminder will give you the necessary information of each step of the disassembling process to rely on.
Gather Packing Supplies
Well, now you need packing supplies. Before loading the belongings you should wrap them all. Go to the local hardware store or use for this an online – shop and buy there the necessary protective materials. These packing supplies are:
- Bubble wrap;
- Plastic stretch wrap;
- Sofa/mattress covers or blankets;
- Sealable plastic bags;
- Corrugated cardboard sheets;
During wrapping the fragile items you need something to provide cushioning. There are bubble wrap and blank newsprint, also called white paper.
- The blank newsprint ( or «white paper» ) come in 5, 10 or 25 lbs bundles.
- The bubble wrap type comes in 12 or 24 inch wide rolls and with various bubble sizes.
- The last one is the best for packing very valuable thins, glass, etc.
Plastic Stretch Wrap
Plastic stretch wrap is one of the most important packing supplies. It is necessary for a successful long-distance or short-distance move. This item is so useful because of:
- Its ability to protect items from scratches and scuffs during moving in the truck.
- It is widely used for wrapping hard-to-pack items like rugs, furniture, and bed rails, and other things.
- Also, it has no adhesive backing, it only sticks to itself – not your items, and thanks to this ability there is no problem with unpacking of furniture.
There are some steps before plastic stretch wrap using:
- Take apart furniture;
- Clean the dust;
- Put away all knobs, casters, or pulls.
Plastic covers for moving include such items as:
- plastic sofa cover
- plastic chair covers
- shrink wrap
- stretch wrap
- Plastic mattress cover.
The advantages of plastic covers:
- Shrink wrap, also shrink film, is a material made up of polymer plastic film for wrapping things. When heat is applied, it tightly narrows over all that it is covering.
- This wrap is widely used in shipping or loading the furniture to keep everything together.
- It does not allow the items to fall or even disappear during moving from the shipment.
Firstly it was used for keeping drawers together and for the purposes like this. Then it was used as a substitute for plastic covers to wrap mattresses. The only reason for this change of materials was the bringing of more money profit for a moving company.
If you want, you can wrap shrink wrap on top of furniture already wrapped in blankets, but it is very expensive and not necessary.
Moving blankets are very useful and the most important for perfect wrapping. They are called “tool of the trade”.
- Moving blankets can help you to protect the belongings from damaging during the moving in the truck.
- It will provide you with a comfortable moving.
- If you do not moving on a long distance and hire the professional organization or moving company to help you, you will be given blankets and moving dollies and you should not be charged for it.
- They will deprive you of a lot of thoughts and worrying about your belongings.
- This stuff is not cheap.
- In the case of interstate moving you should buy your own blankets.
So, here you have some tips on how to save your furniture while moving into a new house without excessive anxiety. Moreover, they will help you storage the items in a good way.
If you have a good preparation and keep in mind all these tips on wrapping furniture, you will receive the success easily.