Moving With a Baby Is a Complete Adventure For Parents
When you are going to plan a move and you have a baby, you need to be well-prepared for this tedious, but important task. For parents, moving with a baby is a sense of great responsibility, because every parent wants to put everything right.
If you are planning a vacation or if you are going to move with the baby, you should know that the move will be far more difficult as if you move alone. In fact, there is nothing to worry if you plan it beforehand. A well-organized checklist can help you to enjoy the move with baby to the fullest.
Seek Childcare’s Help
You can take help from a trusted babysitter on a moving day. It will certainly help you to make things much easier. With a qualified babysitter, your kid won’t be bothered by people who will be coming in and going out of the house to unload and load the family stuff.
Plan Your Trip Properly
So what should you do to experience a smooth cross-country move with a baby? Of course, if you are moving with a baby to a distant location, then you’ll need to spare some time out to map changing diapers, feeding or just to make them play for some time and relax. If it is possible, try to select some halt points at a friend’s place or a relative’s one to rest or eat. In case you are flying make sure to book direct flights as well as prepare snacks for your trip.
Don’t Change the Routine
While moving with baby try not to change their routine as babies are well adjusted to their daily routines. So, any alterations can lead to fussiness or irritability. Try to stick to their daily routine as much as possible.
Speak to Your Paediatrician
It is very important to speak to your paediatrician before moving long distance with the baby so that he/she will provide you with all the necessary tips for moving with a baby while traveling on a plane or by car. In case you are visiting a new paediatrician, make sure you carry the medical records of your baby so that he/she will be able to provide proper consultation based on the medical records of your baby.
Get the Baby Bag Ready
When you are moving cross-country with a baby you need to carry the nursery and gather all the necessary things needed for at least a month. This is because you may not get easily the essentials when you move to a new place instantly. So pack up baby food, diapers, pacifiers and a squeaky toy. Make sure you do not miss out on any essentials.
You can also carry some non-essentials too, but don’t forget to use separate boxes to pack essentials and non-essentials.
Safety Concerns Are Important
If you are renting a car or it is a DIY move and there is no back seat for the baby’s seat in the car, then there should be someone whom you can trust to take care of your baby while you are driving. Make sure you do not keep the dangerous items like scissors, cleaning stuff, sharp-edged furniture close to your kid on the day you are moving long distance with the baby to make your trip safe.
There are important things which you need to think about so that you won’t face hassles while moving long distance with the baby:
- If it is possible, try to allocate an empty room for your baby to play with some toys around.
- In order to avoid the loud noises that occur as part of moving, you may play some light music.
- It is wise to carry out the large moving tasks while your baby is sleeping. Try not to alter the daily routine of your baby like feedings, naptime or playtime. This will make it comfortable for the baby and he/she will not be affected by your plans of cross country moving and your moving tasks will be accomplished without any hassles.
After Your Move to a New Destination
You should also make sure that your baby is comfortable at a new place. There are a few things that you need to keep in mind to do so.
- Set-up the nursery so that your baby gets the chance to sleep or play, while you’re simply unpacking. Start with baby’s room cleaning and setting up all the baby’s toys and clothes. Later on, start playing with your kid to make him/her feel safe and comfortable in the new place.
- Test the alarms and install gates at the top as well as on the bottom of the stairs. Check the windows and make sure you use window coverings that are cordless.
- While you are unpacking things, it is important to store and lock up things like pet food, medicines, vitamins, cleaning products, chemicals, poisonous plants etc. out of kid’s reach.
- Inspect the home from the baby’s point of view and check what seems to be attractive to the baby and what he/she can reach to. Check for everything that can turn out to be unsafe and harmful to your baby.
- Cover all the outlet covers and electrical outlets.
- Use childproof locks to store things that are hazardous or can be accessed easily by your baby.
There are small little things that you can take care of while traveling long distances with your baby. Making a checklist will certainly help you not to miss out on anything. Your baby is important to you than anything else, so make sure you plan and execute the move the best way to take a good care of your baby. When you have a checklist of all the important things, you will be more confident that everything will be well-organized and you’ll make your baby comfortable at a new place as well.