Planning moving in winter, it is quite difficult to predict what surprises the weather will prepare for us, and whether they will be the main obstacles to the transportation of things. That is why the organization of this process should be taken with a high degree of responsibility. In addition to the weather conditions, during the snow moving, proper attention should be paid to packing equipment, furniture, as well as its reliable fixation in the back of the car.
DO’S when moving in the snow
To make snow moving to become as comfortable and safe as possible, you need to adhere to several winter moving tips.
The first is to check the weather forecasts for the planned date. From this it follows:
- plan for more time if significant weather deterioration is possible in the near future;
- ice, snowfall, and blizzards will not only make it difficult for the car to drive on the road but may also be an obstacle to loading things;
- high sub-zero temperatures may adversely affect the continued operability of appliances and equipment;
- before transporting the appliance during the winter period, it should be disconnected from the power supply several hours before the scheduled transport time. This allows the appliance to cool down to normal room temperature. The same applies to turning it on. Remember not to plug the appliance into the socket after it has been out in the cold for a couple of hours.
- transporting houseplants and pets, you should provide them with maximum protection and warmth. Animals are best transported in specially equipped containers in the car under the close supervision of their owners.
To ensure that the transported property is as safe as possible and to prevent defects in the form of chips, cracks, and breakage, packaging materials must be carefully selected.
When it comes to choosing a period for moving in the winter, it is better to give preference to the New Year’s vacations or a pre-planned vacation. This way you will have enough time to choose the best date with favorable weather conditions.
DON’TS when moving in the snow
Winter moving has its disadvantages. You should check the weather forecast in detail, as there may be ice. It is unpleasant in its own right, but it is doubly so when moving in winter. If you are going to drive your car, prepare it properly. You shouldn’t drive fast, because you should be as careful as possible. It is also not advisable to wear shoes that are uncomfortable or have smooth soles, as they might slip and cause you to lose your balance when carrying boxes.
Also do not leave boxes in the snow. If you take them into a warm room, the snow will melt and things may get wet.
And one of the most important things is health. It is the most valuable and the most important thing a person has. And even when carrying things, you should not forget about them. Do not go out “for a minute, for a box” in the street in just a T-shirt. But do not wear too much clothing: the flat and the staircase are warm, in a fur coat and a fur hat you will quickly sweat. You should prepare suitable clothes well in advance – it’s all about striking the right balance. You don’t want it to be hot inside and cold outside.
Moving can rarely be planned with a specific time of year in mind. So if you do decide to do it in winter, consider the pros and cons.