How To Move House Plants Across Country?
A lot of people face two major questions during moving. The first: “How to move with pets? “. The second one is “How to move with plants” or “How the plants should be packed for moving?” Here we’ve prepared a list of answers on the last one.
As everybody knows, moving botanical friends is a big deal. That’s why you should be well-prepared and equipped with great strategies to successfully transit the plants to the new place.
Find out which one can be moved with you. Check local quarantine regulations on plants. There are lots of states and each of them has its own rules and regulations (some plans may be forbidden in the place you are going to move). It will be a great idea to ask a truck driver about the route. You should know whether your plants are allowed to cross all the borders on the path or not.
Do want to smuggle your plants? In the case you have no opportunity to take your small friends with you, there are some solutions. You may take your plants and smuggle them. But it will be checked as well and taken away by the border guard. It seems that the border guard staff includes only a few people or even no one who has green fingers. That’s why it would be better to choose the new plants’ owner by your own (gift them to your friend, close relative or neighbor).
What Should Be Done In Advance?
The first is the digging work.
What should you do, if the plants you want to move across the country live in the garden? Dig the outdoor flowers up. Can you handle the job without any side assistance? If so, this list of valuable instruction will serve you in a good way.
If the plant is big and has a lot of leaves and branches, tie it around with a rope. Pull up the branches and tie them up. It will allow you to do the work easier.
• Try to make a circle around the plant. Then you should keep making it smaller until you see the roots.
• When the circle is dug, start digging under the plant at an angle of 45º.
• Chop off some bottom roots.
• Put the root ball into a hessian cloth or a bag.
• Place the plant in a freshening, cool place.
• Water the plant (the root ball should be moist). Do not overdo it. The roots should not be wet.
The second point is taking cuttings.
If the plant is too huge to move, you can cut a part of it. How should you do it? In a very easy manner, look:
• Make a cutting in the morning.
• The cutting should be about the size of the palm.
• Put the cutting into a wet paper towel.
• Keep the cutting end moist.
• Put the covered cutting into a plastic container, bag or a pot. The last one is the best variant.
• If you use a plastic pot, put there some moist soil.
• Place the pot with cutting into the box.
After the digging and making cuttings processes we move on the last point. Of course, it is about the plant preparation:
• Check your green friends attentively.
• Remove all dead leaves and branches.
• Make sure the plants do not carry any disease.
• Make these steps about 2 or 3 weeks before the moving.
One Week before Moving Plants
During this period all pests and weeds have to be eliminated if you do not want to take them with you.
On the Eve of Moving
Even a day before the moving, you have to do some work. Now, you need to pack your green friends. Here is some information on how to pack plants for moving.
• Choose boxes for your plants. In most cases, the best choice is cardboard boxes.
• Poke holes in the boxes in order to conduct the fresh air. Make some holes on each side.
• Put the pots into plastic bags and after that put them into the cardboard boxes.
• Fix the plants toughly, if you want them to be intact.
• Use some paper, bubble wrap, foam cushioning and some other soft materials to protect the plants.
• Check the protection. Shake it and look at the result to make sure.
• Write «Plant» or « take it carefully» on the boxes.
• Inform the driver about the plants you are going to move.
Load your plants in the last turn. Place them in the back seats of the car, if it’s possible. If you transit plants in your own automobile, you are able to avoid some problems and control well-being of your botanical friends:
• Monitor the temperature.
• Avoid meeting the plants with the direct sunlight (because the plants may fade).
• Water them when it is necessary.
• In case, you have to stop at a motel for a night, draw your plants out of the car.
The Day of Arrival
First of all, unpack the plants. Try to avert damaging the stems. If the soil is dry, water it. Do not hurry to replace the plastic pot with a clay one. It should be passed about a week to replace them. The plant needs some time to adjust to the move.
If you need some important information on how to move plants across the country, this article is exactly for you. Many people face the problems of digging outdoor plants, making cuttings, packing, transporting all of them through the state borders and more. Here you will find the answers to all your questions. With the help of this info, you’ll sigh with relief. You will be ready for any troubles, concerned packing and/or transportation of plants on your way.